Tuesday 11 October 2011

Year One - Looking back

The first year of my fantastic new adventure (that was unnecessarily dramatic) has drawn to a close in a disappointingly irrelevant yet still notable way (I'm in a dramatic mood apparently). Now seems like a good time to take stock of what I've accomplished in the last 12 months.

Firstly, and most obviously, I've discovered this sport, this magical sport with a guaranteed a rush every time I go. Every skydive is a more exhilarating experience than a lot of people will ever know, no matter what your plan is and how well you follow it. And I know I'm only just beginning.

A more measurable achievement is the attaining of my 'A' licence. It may be the lowest rung on a complex and difficult ladder, but gives me freedom to travel to other drop zones, and is proof that I'm not just doing this for the bragging rights (though I am a bit), but that I'm actually capable and could one day be good. The way I earned it is a source of pride, showing both talent and commitment. The Accelerated Free Fall course is intense and instructors wont think twice about making students repeat levels if they're not up to scratch. Only one failed jump is a genuinely impressive record.
Starting jumping in October was, in hindsight, an impulsive and foolish idea that neatly sums up my mindset at the time. AFF is best done quickly, and the winter weather made this impossible. I spent many days staring at clouded skies, wasting time and doing 140 mile round trips for nothing. It would have been easy give up. I know if I had convinced myself I'd wait until spring I would have never gone back.

The time wasted at the drop zone needn't have been. I could have learnt to pack last winter, but in fairly typical style I put off the hard graft to focus on the fun bit.

I certainly haven't jumped enough. 27 in a year is barely scratching the surface, and I'm fed up of arriving at the drop zone worried about my currency. I'm taking consolation in the fact that the first year is way more expensive than the rest, with training cost and gear rentals, and I couldn't sensibly justify any more. I'm just worried as I get older and more sensible that my money will disappear in other ways, but I'm happy with skydiving being a big part of my life instead of the whole thing.

Finally, the purchase of my rig is a sign of my commitment, and gives me contradictory hope that next year will be different, with jumps by the hundreds and new talents learnt.

2 comments:

  1. Hey James,

    Found your link on Dropzone. Added it to Google Reader so I'll get caught up. I've got a whopping five jumps, though only four signed off in the logbook. Number 5 was my 3rd PRCP and I totally flubbed it.

    Nice name, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve,

    Don't sweat the "flubbed" jump. I only know of 1 jumper who got his A with no retakes, and even a bad skydive is still a skydive.

    ReplyDelete