Monday 26 September 2011

Taking risks

I'm a naturally cautious person. Really. There are all sorts of different types of risk in this world, and the rewards for each have to be analysed before they will be taken or abandoned. We all do this process instinctively, hundreds of times a day. And we all see the rewards, and the probabilities, differently. I, for example, have looked at skydiving, seen the facts, spent time at the dropzone and decided I'll probably be fine and the thrill of each jump is worth it.

When it comes to large scale purchases, however, I'm a wuss. It takes me 3 months to buy a car. I have to find the best possible one, and then this has to be checked relentlessly. I'm too worried about getting scammed. This leaves me slightly uncomfortable with the situation in which I find myself.

Yesterday I went to the South Cerney dropzone near Swindon. My purpose was not to jump, but to meet someone coming from Cardiff who had a rig to sell. It seemed good. But, being my usual cautious self, I wanted it to be looked over by a rigger, someone who's job it is to check and maintain parachutes, to make sure there were no hidden issues. He spent approximately 30 seconds looking at it and asking questions before without even checking the canopies within he declared if I didn't want it he would buy it then and there. This was about as good a recommendation as I could hope for, but a part of me would have liked him to take it all apart and inspect every inch of it. In an unusual show of retail bravery, I said I would buy it.

The seller would only take cash, which I didn't have, so we are meeting up again to make the exchange. Before we could even leave the dropzone the rigger let the seller know that he had two other jumpers who had said they wanted it. I know I'm getting it for a steal, so I'm praying the seller doesn't decide he can get more money for it and call the deal off. I wouldn't really blame him if he did. If I do get it, I'll hand over thousands of pounds for a parachute I've never even seen. I'll probably be getting something fantastic. That's the risk.

No comments:

Post a Comment