Friday 30 September 2011

A plunge taken

I'm a naturally cautious person. And I don't plan on rushing the process of buying a rig. So, obviously, I now own one. The first one I went to see. I regret nothing, but then I haven't jumped it yet. This week I went to the bank, got out the most money I've ever held in my hands then did another 200 mile round trip to exchange it for a peach of a rig. 4 years old and only 140 jumps is way better than I was hoping for.

The urge to get naked and roll around in it was almost overwhelming
It's not perfect. Reserve parachutes, the ones that are deployed when your main malfunctions, are repacked every six months by a fully qualified rigger, and this one is way overdue. I won't be allowed anywhere near a plane with it until this is done. The Automatic Activation Device, which deploys the aforementioned reserve if it detects I'm still in freefall under 1000', is due it's 4 year service. Which means the entire rig has to be sent to Germany. Also, it's filthy. It spent most of its active life at Empuriabrava, a jumper's paradise that covers everything that goes near it with a solid layer of impregnable dust.

My little piece of nylon-based freedom
The main problem with it is that it's too small. Canopies are measured in square feet, the smaller ones are faster and more manoeuvrable which makes them more fun but also more dangerous. I'm currently jumping a 220. I was looking for a 190, but this is only a 168. It just means I'll have to rent club rigs for a few more jumps, which isn't an issue if I can display some patience I've so far been completely devoid of. Oh, and the colour scheme doesn't match my jumpsuit.

But the advantages make the problems inconsequential. It's in great condition, almost new. I'll get it clean, get it sorted and then be able to jump it for years. I don't believe in the idea of seeing something and immediately knowing it's what you want. That said, when I first went to see it, after I tried it on I instinctively kept it over my shoulder instead of handing it back to the seller. It's a great fit, but maybe it just felt right.

No comments:

Post a Comment